maandag 13 december 2010

Calling Mother Nature on your vacation?!

Article: http://www.newsday.com/travel/us/northeast-us/take-a-peek-at-peaks-with-mountain-forecast-1.2530853


Welcome again in the 21st century! Meet the National Weather Service, a new forecasting tool not only useful for determined skiers but also for the passionate backpacker!

Planning an adventurous ski or hiking trip has never been this easy! The National Weather Service practically offers you a direct communication with Mother Nature. But isn’t knowing the day or hour temperatures on popular summits a bit the same as knowing all the right numbers of a game of chance? Perhaps it is for some true daredevils who are striving for the ultimate kick?

As for me, a person who is not so much willing to risk her life for a bit of adrenaline, this new forecasting tool is a true gift. And so must it be for many others who are simply trying to have a nice (harmless) winter vacation.

Now for one minute let’s try and forget the advantages or disadvantages for the adventurous traveller and let us have a look at the effect this forecasting tool might have on the local enterprises. When knowing the weather will be less beneficial in the afternoon, would you stay the entire day on the ski tracks or would you rather enjoy a lovely afternoon at the resort's spa? You tell me! I believe there will be some entrepreneurs crying out “mayday” during those times of bad predicted weather and others who will be celebrating and shouting out “victory”.  

As a conclusion I can say that, although I was very astonished by this new tool for travellers, I must admit that I was just as much shocked by the fact that this was actually a “new” tool. I guess I assumed this invention already existed in the city that never sleeps, for we do live in the 21st century!

1 opmerking:

  1. Nice Blog!
    I will think about it when I'm going to Switserland next summer!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen